Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Inspiration or Perspiration

So yesterday was my inaugural journey to health or achievement or perhaps stupidity; whatever it may be, it has started and I created it. I set a goal for myself that I wanted to accomplish; however it came with a catch... I wanted to accomplish something I never thought possible growing up or I never envisioned myself ever doing. This all started after listening to "The Secret" and other self help motivational tapes; I thought I will push my body to do something I never dreamed to see how much control I have over myself. My first idea was to become Mr. Olympia... after my wife laughed at me for what seemed an hour (personally I think she is still laughing at that), I decided that maybe that is something I didn't want to do (besides what would I do with all those rippling pectorals). I decided to do something I disliked; not only disliked but haven't done in sixteen years. My goal is to run a mile in four minutes; while my wife did not laugh at this one I have had plenty of people tell me it will be tough, but good luck. I don't think I ever ran the mile in less than eight minutes and that was in high school when I was in better shape and had age on my side; but yesterday I found myself running my first mile on this crazy journey. My wife loves to run and the people that run for fun I have never understood what they see in it; I was always a sprinter and good for short distances but never enjoyed anything more than 200 yards. As I was running yesterday I waited for inspiration to come and the funny thing was it never did just my breathing getting heavier and heavier. I ran my first lap in 1:44 which I though was pretty good considering 16 years of silence; I completed my mile in 9:42 which averages out to 2:35 a lap. Of course if I ran the third lap it would have been quicker, but I would not be writing this now as I would still be on the track. Overall my first run was satisfactory as I was hoping to get in under ten minutes; at least now I have something to work for. I don't know how I am going to accomplish this, but I do know as I put out the perspiration the inspiration will follow and I will find myself closer and closer to the finish line.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

You're right babe, my face still hurts from laughing-but I think your new goal is a great one and I am proud of you! I love you!

The DeWeese's said...

wow... impressive! maybe i should hit the track with you!